Wednesday, March 1, 2017


A Final Reflection


As the end of this session closes many thoughts flowed through my mind about all that I have learned and what impact it has had on my current studies. There are so many of my classmates that are working towards a Master’s degree in library information science (MLIS). I wondered why this area of study?  It set me on a quick research study and reflection of my own personal relationship with librarians.  Twenty years ago, when I earned my Master’s Degree the role of the librarians was to help you filter through the many card catalogs and research journals. (Raju, 2014) Today, I deal with librarians that are technological powerhouses, who know how to maneuver through all types of internet resources and produce astonishing presentations of information that is gathered. They can walk you through the maze of global information and help you survive the journey. They help you through the vast world of “digital and virtual libraries” that are used to house vast collections of information which today we can gain access remotely.
Years ago, I spent long hours at the library doing academic research because I had to travel to the source to gather the information. Today, all I need do is turn on my computer. But, I still need the librarian to help me find my way through this digital library or I can easily get lost.  I still spend hours at the library but, the information I gather is not necessarily from the buildings resources.  They can be gained from anywhere in the world through the library’s computer network.

The digital library makes that possible. Per Ogunsola and Okusaga (Ogunsola & Okusaga, 2008) “libraries are now extending their traditional roles of facilitating self-education and individual enrichment by providing low-cost or free computer access to online resources.” This change is why we are still frequenting the library to gather our information. Still needing the librarian to assist in moving through the global information system.  Everyone cannot easily afford the cost of a personal computer even though the cost has dropped considerably in the last twenty-five years. School librarians help young minds learn how to gather information that they need for that self-directed learning.

Then there is the virtual library which is cost effective to institutions and a means for many to share resources without the cost of a physical plant.  Again, we still need that librarian to assist remotely for us to do this as well.  That is why I have deemed them “powerhouses of technical knowledge.” After reflecting on these little things, I can understand why my classmates choose this area of study.
 

References


Ogunsola, L. A., & Okusaga, T. O. (2008). Establishing virtual libraries in Africian universities. Ozean Journal of Social Sciences, 43-52.

Raju, J. (2014). Knowledge and skills for the digital era academic library. The Journal of Academic Librarianship, 163-170.

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment